Thursday, April 9, 2009

GOD’S GOT YOU COVERED

“You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with songs of deliverance.” Selah. (Ps.32:7)

I do a lot of pondering. I turn things over in my head, heart and spirit. I examine, re-consider, and generally think about stuff in ways that some folks don’t want to be bothered by. So be it. We’re all “fearfully and wonderfully made” ya know (Ps.139:14).

There’s a word (besides nuts) for someone who filters life that way.
(Contemplative: Marked by or given to contemplation)

A contemplative person practices contemplation.
(Contemplation: A. Concentration on spiritual things as a form of private devotion B. Acts of considering with attention (Midrash: Hebrew for study) C. The act of regarding steadily)

Here’s a portion of a recent pondering that I thought I’d blogify 4 u: The verse I’ve quoted above tells us that we’re surrounded by “songs of deliverance”. The KJV says God will “compass” us about. To compass (or encompass) something means to cover it from every possible angle and perspective. North, South, East, West as well as above and beneath. In other words the Spirit of God daily covers us with such deliverance songs. From every direction we turn, from where we stand, and to wherever we might ascend --- songs (KJV says “shouts”) of deliverance are there waiting to be heard, sung, and appropriated into our lives.

Did you know that? Can you hear them?

More about all that in the daze ahead (see Ps.139:7-10). For now, try a little selahness.

Copyright Secured: See & Say (Songs & Such), BMI



Commenting on the phrase “You shall surround me with songs of deliverance”, Charles Spurgeon says this: “What a golden sentence! David is surrounded with song and with dancing mercies, all proclaiming the triumphs of grace. There is no breach in the circle; it surrounds him. On all sides, he hears music, in front, hope sounds the cymbals, and behind, gratitude beats the timbrel. Right and left, above and beneath, the air resounds with joy.” (From “The Treasury of David” /By: Charles Spurgeon)